Sunday 28 September 2014

Music video inspirations - Miss Georgiou

Music video inspirations

Music video 1- Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

 The music video 'Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?' has contributed to my inspiration for my own production of my music video. This music video has inspired me to create a music video for myself as the artist has been represented as a cool, indie and laid back. The micro elements used within the video such as camera shots have also inspired me to create a music video as the close up shots of the artist allow the audience to gain an insight into how the artist is feeling within the video and allows the audience to feel more involved. Other elements such as mise en scene have also given me inspiration as the outfits and setting seen in the video such as leather jackets and various pubs are considered 'cool'. This shows that you can represent your artist in any way you want within a music video - it all depends on what they are wearing and how they present themselves. The indie/boyband genre of this song has given me inspiration as the artists are presented in the video to be very chilled and laid back, this makes them seem very cool and an artist that you would want to listen to, therefore i want to create a music video which gives off similar vibes from the artist which would make the consumer want to keep listening to the artist.
Music video 2- Pusha T - King Push
The micro elements that are in this music video helped inspire me to create my own music video as the lighting within the video is very dark but includes some colourful lights at certain points. I think this has an interesting effect on the audience as you can include lights to portray different emotions. Another micro element that is inspirational in this video is the editing. There are both slow paced and fast paced editing, the fast paced editing is used throughout the chorus to show the fast pace lifestyle that the artist is trying to show in the video. The artist is represented in a very powerful way in this video as he is seen in the video on his own the whole time and the main focus is always on him. This shows that he is the most important person in the video, this has inspired me in creating my music video as it brings all the focus to the artist. 

Music Video 3-  Brand New Guy - A$AP Rocky Ft. ScHoolBoy Q
This song is part of the rap genre, and the music video displays common element to portray this, such as the artist representation. Both artists: A$AP ROCKY and ScHoolBoy Q are two highly recognised artists in the rap industry and they're both being publicised as drug users and that they demoralize women. This inspired to create my own music video as you can represent your artist to have certain morals within a music video to the audience. Also the mise en scene (setting) of the music video inspired me. The setting changes from being in a skate park to be walking around the streets. This inspired me as the setting changes and keeps the audience involved with what's happening.


Sam Smith - Not The Only One
Watching this music video gave me inspiration for my own production of my music video as the micro elements such as mise en scene inspired me to include similar ideas. The mise en scene within this video which inspired me was the costumes, the girl in the music video is seen wearing a vintage looking dress with her hair done up and her make-up done subtly. This inspired me when creating my own music video as when the girl in the music video becomes upset her makeup runs and therefore emphasises her emotions and allows the audience to connect with her more as they can identify her emotions through her makeup. I wanted to include this idea in my music video as it shows to the audience the characters emotions through her makeup.  The style of this music video is narrative, this is shown as there is a clear storyline of a married couple where the husband cheats and the wife finds out. This storyline inspired me when creating my own music video as the storyline of the video engages the audience and allows them to create an emotional attachment with the characters. I therefore wanted to include this sort of attachment in my music video as it would allow audiences to engage in whats happening and allow them to relate to the video more. The artist representation in this music video is that the girl is percieved as weak and vulnerable as she has had her heart broken. The man in the video is percieved as being strong and heartless as he is seen to be cheating on his wife. The woman is shown to be emotional as she is seen to be crying in the music video, this is a conventional portrayal of genders within a music video as the woman is seen to be weak and the man is seen to be strong and less emotional. I want to include this representation of the artist in my music video as it appeals to a wide audience as both genders would be able to relate to what's happening in the video. The music video genre is soul music which inspired me when creating my own music video as the song i am using is in the same genre, which ment that i would be able to learn a lot from analysing the music video and be able to inspire me a lot.
 
Ed Sheeran - Give Me LoveThe mise en scene of this music video has inspired me when creating my own music, especially the setting and iconography. The setting within this music video is based on the streets of London and in the girls flat. This inspired me when creating my own music video as the setting is very relateable to different audiences, therefore i want to include this setting in my own music video to make it relateable.  The music video style is narrative as the girl goes round London shooting people with an arrow to make them fall in love, i want to include a narrative in my own music video as i think it makes the video much more interesting and appealing to an audience to watch. The artist isn't featured in the music video much, he is only seen in a coffee shop by himself but by this the representation you get is that he is very humble and relateable as he is in an everyday setting meaning that different audiences would be able to relate to him. The music video genre of this song is singer/songwriter this inspired me when creating my own music video as the genre makes the video much more personal to the artist as they have created their music by themselves.

For my own production i am considering either using Paloma Faith, Ed Sheeran or Nina Nesbit. I am deciding between the three artists, they all belong to either soul/singer/songwriter/indie genres meaning i will be able to use my findings from the above music videos when creating my own. I will share this with my group and explain to them the findings that i have got and explain to them my ideas so that we can all come together and put our ideas together to make our music video successful.

1 comment:

  1. You have made a start in considering some music video inspirations that you would like to include within your own production. However further discussion of the videos are needed.

    Remember that this is an inspiration post and needs to be updated throughout your production. Also you need to include three artists/songs that you are considering for your won production.

    ReplyDelete